Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

Response to: Where The Girls Are by Susan J. Douglas

After reading what was required, I feel that Douglas is very negative about the mass media, men, and anyone that doesn't agree with her. I'm not just saying that because I'm a man. My wife read it with me and could sense the same negativity. For example Douglas says this about how the women are portrayed in the mass media: "...it urged us to be as domestic as June Cleaver, as buxom and dumb as Elly May Clampett, and as removed from politics as Lily Munster." Right there we can see that she thinks that the media is oppressive toward women. She speaks badly of June Cleavor for being a stay at home mom and saying that it's an oppressive women's role. Who would want to grow up being taught by their babysitter instead of their mom or dad? I'm not a parent yet but I wouldn't want to leave my children to be raised by some one else. I would rather have my wife and I be the ones to take care of my future children. If you want to change the world, start within the walls of your own home. Mothers have a great responsibility; motherhood is a priceless gift and privilege.

1 comment:

  1. Motherhood is great, but I think it is possible to have motherhood and be an independent women. I don't like when people make it seem like being a mother takes the place of being a working woman. If a woman has the need to be like a man and a man needs to fulfill his patriarchal desires then who is in charge of the children. I do agree with you that is IS better to be taught by a parent, but sometimes it isn't an option and I don't think someone should be considered less of a parent if they need to explore other options. Maybe being a mother doesn't quite fulfill the woman they way holding a job, even a part time, one word. Not all women are made to be moms just like not all men are made to me a 9-5 worker. It just depends on the situation whereas Ms. Douglas uses absolutes.

    ReplyDelete